No one likes the idea of having to send their phone to service, but unfortunately, even devices as reliable as iPhones can experience issues from time to time. This is when you need to make peace with the fact that your phone needs to be sent to a specialist to get the issue resolved.
Knowing your phone will land in a stranger’s hand is not an easy thought. This is why you may want to protect your sensitive information before it gets sent to the service. Technicians may need to access your phone to fix potential issues, meaning you won’t be able to keep it password protected.
This leads us to the main question: should I wipe out my iPhone before sending it to get serviced?
While service facilities don’t particularly require you to erase your phone, you should do so for your peace of mind. The last thing you want is to know someone has access to all your personal information. This is why even the Apple website recommends backing up your phone and reset it before sending it in for any type of maintenance requests.
What Apple recommends
To protect your information and save the technicians some time in the process, Apple recommends the following steps before sending your phone in for service:
- Back up your device using iCloud or iTunes
- If your iPhone is paired with other devices, such as an Apple Watch, make sure to unpair it
- Disable the Find My Device on your iPhone
- Remove the SIM card, screen protection, and case.
- Reset your device from the Settings menu. If you cannot do this because the device won’t turn on, it is recommended you try to do so from the iCloud website
How to backup your phone
Erasing your device means restoring it to factory settings. If you do so, all data stored on the phone will be, obviously, deleted. If you don’t want to lose your contacts, messages, phones, or other valuable information, you should back up your device before erasing it.
There are two options to do this:
Backup with iTunes
- Check to see if you have installed the latest iTunes version on your computer
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using the cable
- From the iTunes app on your computer, go to File > Devices > Backup
Backup with iCloud
- From your phone, make sure you have enough storage on iCloud to backup your data
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup > tap on the Back Up Now option
- Additionally, you can turn on the automatic backup feature, to ensure your data is never lost